Hey thanks for stopping by

This will be my ongoing blog, or at least an attempt at one. Being a truck driver who is also a firm believer, and follower of our savior, being OTR(Over The Road) posses many difficulties. This will be the my trucking chronicles.
I welcome comments, suggestions, or questions.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Where the Lord leadest...

After searching for the right job, one that would allow me to be home regularly, without being broke all the time. And Im sure everyone reading this would say, yeah me to! Well after my uneventful term with JB, I've found myself working for a small fleet owner. I pick up my loaded trailer everyday from the same place in Delaware Ohio and deliver to stores in Ohio, around the Wheeling WV area, a small sections of Indiana, and as much as it pains me I must spend a lot of time in Michigan. GO BUCKS!  The awesome part of this job is that I can be home very night. Some nights it just makes sense to stay in Columbus in my semi, especially if I get in late and have to leave after my DOT mandated 10 hour break.

Friday night I left the house at 9pm picked at the yard in Delaware, tried to sleep for a few hours before I headed to Warren MI. The most direct route was though downtown Detroit, which in a big truck is enough of a challenge during rush hour, but add in nasty road conditions you can add on an extra hour of drive time. I arrived home last night, and leave again in a few short hours heading to Portsmouth, then swap loads and off to Mt Vernon at 9pm, both with 1 stop loads. Im praying that this will work out for the best, and to Gods will for our lives.
Please feel free to comment or ask questions.


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. I like your site. Thanks! Here's a story in exchange.
    The cattle truck showed up an hour late but at least it did finally arrive. We grabbed a long strong rope, some feed and a four-wheel drive Ford Tractor that had a bucket loader on the front of it.. The man in the truck followed us over to the other barn which was across the road from the main barnyard.

    The bull that we were after was almost as big as the tractor but he was white with some light brown spots and the tractor was blue. Many men have been mauled and even killed while trying to remove a bull from a pasture but this bull was good natured and like all cattle, loves feed.

    Coaxing cattle with feed is an old trick and more often than not it serves the purpose perfectly. I've seen whole herds of heifers chase a quad down the road when a man sat on the back with a five gallon bucket of feed for them follow.

    But, we weren't driving cattle this time, so we tried to lasso the bull and separate him from the heifers. The man who brought the truck was following the bull around a feed trough that was out in the middle of the pasture while trying to toss the looped end of the rope over the big bulls massive head. The first attempt failed because the rope only grabbed one-half of the bulls head so we had to wait for the beast to shake it off before we could try again.

    The idea was to lasso the bull but to let the rope go once we did. Once the rope was finally around the bulls neck, the plan was to recapture the loose end of the tether and tie it to back end of the tractor while the bull was being preoccupied with the feed. It would have worked if the rope had fell just right on the first try but since it didn't the bull was spooked and wouldn't come close enough for us to try it again.

    One has to be calm and quiet around cattle because they can spook easy. Seeing that we had no chance of capturing the bull under the circumstances we decided to relocate the feed trough and get a longer rope. We moved the trough from the pasture up to the lower level of the old barn and started shaking the feed bucket again. The cattle answered the dinner call and as fortune would have it the bull went into the barn behind a heifer whereupon we closed the two in by shutting a metal gate.

    Once inside the barn, the bull was preoccupied with eating feed so we were able to lasso him correctly this time. The bull was tied close to the back end of the tractor and then led to the cattle truck which was parked down by the road. I held the tether tight while another fellow operated the tractor. I rode on the tractor by standing on a running board and secured the animal by wrapping the rope around a solid bar that was attached to the tractor.

    The bull came quietly but at one point it seemed like the bulls massive head was going to get jammed in between the back tire and the tractor's frame so we halted and readjusted the rope. The ramp up into the cattle truck was already down and the side gates had been attached so we pulled the bull up to the ramp, loosed the rope and prodded the bull up into the truck.

    Well that was one down and another to go. The second bull was back in the main barnyard. So we repeated the process again, over there. The second bull was younger but he seemed to be more dangerous which is unusual because generally it's the other way around.

    I was the youngest of our crew of four. George was the oldest at 88 years old, his brother Bob is 84 and John is about 70 years old. I am 55. Bob has breathing problems and he can't walk around to good so he operates the tractor. Bob has poor circulation also. I took my glove off and held his frozen left hand in mine for a moment so that it would warm back up. I overlooked the snot that had been wiped off onto the wrist and grabbed it anyway.

    We all know how cold noses can run in the winter time. It was zero today.