Hey thanks for stopping by

This will be my ongoing blog, or at least an attempt at one. Being a truck driver who is also a firm believer, and follower of our savior, being OTR(Over The Road) posses many difficulties. This will be the my trucking chronicles.
I welcome comments, suggestions, or questions.

Friday, December 17, 2010

A decision is made

After 2 weeks of serious deliberation and prayer, I have come to a decision. With a wife, 3 children, and the responsibilities of a rural home to worry about, we knew that making a financially savvy decision was key without me being OTR for a month at a time. Out of the three companies I was hoping to get on with, I assumed that only one would hire me and make my decision for me. However, it has just so happened that the three companies all offered me a job. I had to choose between J.B. Hunt, Celadon, and All Freight Systems (a small company out of Kansas City). 

I knew that years ago, J.B. Hunt had a terrible reputation, but through research and conversations, I have found J.B. Hunt to be a reinvigorated company. They offered me a Monday-Friday job, but I'd have to spend the majority of my time in Chicago and Cleveland which was unappealing. The pay wasn't great either.

The second company was Celadon, a medium sized company. With them, I'd be home one day a week, have decent insurance, and the opportunity to go into Canada, which is something I've always wanted. 

The third company was All Freight Systems. I liked them because they offer APU's and I would be going out west, which I had never done before. 

JB Hunt called and wanted to discuss my intentions regarding orientation. When I voiced my concerns about being in Chicago and Cleveland often, they offered me another route: out for 12, home for 2. The pay was considerably better with terrific benefits. With a larger carrier like JB, in 60 days, I can transfer to another route that would fit me better, something that neither of the other two companies can offer. After consulting with my wife and a few truck driving friends, I've settled on this new route with JB Hunt. I leave for orientation on Sunday after church. Even though I'm not looking forward to being gone for so many days at a time, I do feel better about this decision I have made. 

Orientation will be for three days and then I will be placed in my 09 or newer Freightliner and routed directly back to the house to pick up my stuff. I'll be home over Christmas, but leave out Monday. Will this be the best company for me? Perhaps, but only time will tell. I look forward to updating this blog during orientation and while over the road. 

I welcome any comments, suggestions, or questions. 

Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment